Food safety at home
The improper handling, preparation and storage of food can cause foodborne illness, more commonly known as food poisoning. Good hygiene practices before, during and after food preparation can reduce the chance of contaminating the food and contracting an illness. Here are some food safety tips that you can follow at home and in the grocery store.
At the Grocery Store:
- Keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat food in your shopping cart. This will reduce the chance of spreading foodborne bacteria.
- Put raw meat, poultry and seafood in individual plastic bags and pack them separately from ready-to-eat products.
- Buy products that need to be refrigerated or frozen at the end of your shopping trip.
- Wash your hands with warm soapy water for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food.
- Wash countertops with warm soapy water after preparing each food item.
- Never leave raw meat, poultry, seafood or leftovers on the counter for more than 2 hours.
- Always refrigerate food and leftovers promptly at 4°C or below.
- Consume deli meat within 2-3 days after opening, even if the date differs from the “best before” date.
- Wash your reusable grocery bags frequently.
Grimm’s adheres to strict Federal guidelines.
Even though meat processors are not required to pass Federal government inspection before their goods can be offered for sale to the public, Grimm’s Fine Foods has chosen to adhere to strict guidelines set out by Agriculture Canada.
Our processing facility was built in 1975 using approved specifications and materials, and all our machinery meets Federal requirements. To ensure rigid sanitary standards are upheld, a Federal inspector maintains an office in our facility. In addition, we only use meat that is purchased from a federally inspected business and that operates to the same high standards that we do.
Grimm’s is proud to adhere to Canada’s high food safety standards. While it can be more expensive and labour intensive, we believe the quality of our products and the health of our customers is well worth the extra effort.
We are meticulous about quality.
The Grimm’s processing facility is HACCP certified. This internationally recognized system – Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) – is used by the food industry to enhance food safety throughout all stages of food production and preparation processes, including packaging and distribution.
HACCP takes a preventative approach to food safety, identifying potential biological, chemical, and physical hazards so that action can be taken in advance to reduce or eliminate the risk of these hazards occurring.
This commitment to quality control extends to our employees, who are all fully trained and required to maintain high standards of food safety at every stage of production and delivery.