For the past 3 years Grimm's has been a part of the Fresh St. Market Chili Cook-Off. This is a really fun event that takes place annually at two of Fresh St.'s locations.
Grimm's, along with 4-5 other competitors get together and each create a chili recipe for attendees to taste and vote on. Our Smokehouse Turkey Pep Chili is a product of past years competition.
The Cook-Off is a great event for families and is accompanied by a huge one day sale in the store.
All proceeds from the Cook-Off go towards the JGL Foundation for Cerebral Palsy
A team of our Sales Specialists get together every year and work well into the evening the night before the Cook-Off creating a giant pot of chili. We are always more than happy to offer our services as taste testers!
When we're lucky they are kind enough to share their secret recipe with us so that we can share it with you!
Their recipe this year includes Grimm's Fresh Chorizo Sausage and Double Smoked Side Bacon. Spicy, smoky and delicious!
Lots of ingredients, one pot, little clean up!
1 lb. Grimm's Chorizo Sausage (cut)
1/2 cup Grimm's Double Smoked Side Bacon (diced)
2 lbs. lean ground beef
3 cans of kidney beans (rinsed)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of tomato paste
1 yellow onion (chopped)
3-4 stalks of celery (chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)
1 yellow pepper (chopped)
1 orange pepper (chopped)
2 green chilies (chopped)
4 cubes of beef bouillon
1/4 cup of beer
1/4 cup of chili powder
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. oregano
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. sugar
Like we said, there's lots of ingredients, but once the prep is done this recipe is extremely low maintenance!
1. Sauté ground beef and Chorizo with half the amount of spices. Place in pot
2. Chop vegetables and sauté with green chilies and garlic. Place in pot and add the remaining spices.
3. Chop bacon into small pieces, fry, drain, and add to pot.
4. Add kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste
5. Add bouillon, beer, Worcestershire, Tabasco and sugar
6. Bring all ingredients to a boil
7. Reduce heat and let simmer 2 hours
8. Serve with corn chips and a dollop of sour cream
Have you ever participated in a Chili Cook-Off before? What is your go to chili recipe?