Two Grimm's Honey & Maple Half Hams
2 tsp maple syrup
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
1/4 cup hot water
7 tablespoons butter (divided)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cups celery (about 5-6 stalks), chopped
4 cups apples, cubed (Ambrosia or similar variety)
2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
3 tbsp fresh curly parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 large firm baguette* (about 7-8 cups, cubed)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the hot water and chicken stock and
dissolve the bouillon cube into this mixture. Pour this into the base
of a roasting pan and place a roasting rack over top. Place the hams
in the centre of the rack and drizzle with the maple syrup and cover
3. Place in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the
hams are warmed through. Baste hams halfway in order to keep from
4. Meanwhile, start on the dressing. Cut the bread into roughly 1/2-
inch cubes place in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Cut the apples
into roughly the same size cubes and set aside separately. Slice the
mushrooms and dice the onions and celery, set aside. Roughly chop
the herbs and set aside.
5. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large heavy skillet over medium high
heat. Add onions and celery; sauté until tender and beginning to
brown, about 10 minutes. Season (sparingly) with salt and pepper.
Add apples; sauté until tender and beginning to brown, about 10
minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
Add the bread cubes to the mixture and mix gently until well
incorporated, reduce to a low heat.
6. Meanwhile, in another pan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet
oven medium heat. Once melted, add the herbs and sweat (on low
heat) for about 5 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from heat and pour
over the bread mixture, mixing everything together over low heat.
7. Remove the ham from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes.
Immediately pour the liquid from the pan over the dressing and cook
covered for 5 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
8. Slice ham and enjoy immediately!